Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2007 22:53:12 -0400
From:      Gerry Freymann <lists@interpool.ca>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade from 4.x -> 6.2: Old file systems?

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:24:50 -0600
Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net> wrote:

>I have a server which I am considering upgrading from 4.11 to 6.2.
>Besides the operating system disk (which contains all of the
>expected partitions such as /, /usr, /var, and /tmp), There's a
>large data disk on the system containing useful data that I'd like
>to put back online as soon as the upgrade is completed.

 I went from FreeBSD 5.4R to 6.2R. On my drive, I had two partitions that
I wanted to keep without losing.

 I was able to walk through sysinstall and slice up the drive as it was
before, and when all was said and done, my two partitions that I was
hoping to keep were intact (mind you, I did make backups just in case!).

 I was very pleased, and the upgrade to 6.2R was painless.

 (As a side note, I opted to wipe the other slices and do a fresh install
of the OS and apps while retaining my two data slices).

 Your mileage may vary....

-gerry