Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:16:55 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?B?U/hyZW4gTmVpZ2FhcmQ=?= <neigaard@e-box.dk>
To:        "Jeremy Suo-Anttila" <jps@funeralexchange.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.5-s + Linux Tomcat 4.0.3 + Linux j2sdk1.4.1 + mod_webapp = VERY SLOW performance

Monday, April 08, 2002, 9:09:36 PM, Jeremy wrote:

JSA> I am running a FreeBSD 4.5-stable server with the following config.

JSA> apache+mod_ssl-1.3.24+2.8.8 The Apache 1.3 webserver with SSL/TLS
JSA> functionality (port install)
JSA> Linux j2sdk1.4.1 binary
JSA> Linux Ant 1.4.1 binary
JSA> Linux Tomcat 4.0.3 binary
JSA> linux_base6.1.1

JSA> The server is a P4 1.6 GHZ with 1GB ECC Ram and 100mb fxp0 nic on a OC3
JSA> link. The problem i having is that when i try and access any of my pages
JSA> with a direct call to tomcat via port 8080 the performance is great. But
JSA> when i try to make the exact same connection via the mod_webapp in my
JSA> httpd.conf file for apache the site performance is roughly 50% slower.

JSA> If you would like to see an example please visit the 2 urls below.

JSA> Tomcat Only
JSA> http://www.funeralwire.com:8080/MCS/index.jsp

JSA> Apache + Warp
JSA> http://www.funeralwire.com/MCS/index.jsp

JSA> If anyone has any suggestions on how i can solve this problem please feel
JSA> free to let me know. If you need any further information about my setup also
JSA> feel free to ask.

Not that I'm an expert, but I run a lot of webapplications on Enhydra
and uses Director (something like mod_webapp), and if I serve my
static content (*.gif, *.jpg and so on) through Director (mod_webapp)
performance is super slow. You should probably serve that content via
Apache directly, if you don't do that already.

--
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards,
 Søren Neigaard mailto:neigaard@e-box.dk