Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:29:33 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Dallas De Atley <deatley@apple.com>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@wasabisystems.com>, "Todd C. Miller" <Todd.Miller@courtesan.com>, Theo de Raadt <deraadt@cvs.openbsd.org>
Subject:   Re: __P macro question

-On [20020131 08:15], Kirk McKusick (mckusick@mckusick.com) wrote:
>As the initial perpetrator of __P(()) I will be the Nth to say
>(where N is a distressingly large number) that its usefulness
>has long gone. Since a big objection has been coordinating with
>the other BSD's, I took the liberty of asking them (see responses
>below). They are just as eager to get rid of it, but have been
>waiting for the other BSD's as well. Time's up. We all agree,
>__P(()) should be history. Let's all just set about making it
>so and get on with something important.

Ok, so allow me to drag this line a bit further, and this will interest
Dallas probably as well:

Can we make a combined effort, OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD and Darwin/Mac
OS X to target getting rid of this in our respective CURRENT/development
trees?

Which items can we identify to tackle in this effort?

- Get rid of __P() macros in source files
- Use proper ANSI prototypes, this flows from the point above

what else?

Are there any choking points?  As far as I can see we all have compilers
which should not give any problems with this.

What would be the timeframe in which we want to accomplish this?

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven / asmodai / Kita no Mono / xMach coreteam
asmodai@[wxs.nl|xmach.org], finger asmodai@ninth-circle.org