Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:54:01 +0600
From:      Stanislav Sedov <ssedov@mbsd.msk.ru>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, othermark <atkin901@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Question on respecting PREFIX, LOCALBASE, SITE_PERL, etc...

--Sig_I4KE+w7bFBoJLTzx7nsHdFP

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:19:40 -0700
othermark <atkin901@yahoo.com> mentioned:

> I have a port that I'm working on that, in addition to the binaries it
> generates, it generates the following:
>=20
> - C api, includes, libraries
> - perl api
> - tcl api
> - python api
>=20
> it also has java and rexx extensions, but I'm not going to add those unti=
l=20
> later.
>=20
> My question revolves around respecting both PREFIX and stuff like TCL_LIB=
DIR
> and SITE_PERL.   I want the port to be heir(7) compliant, but I'm also
> patching the install to put perl, tcl, and python modules in the
> TCL/PERL/PYTHON respective site library repositories. =20
>=20
> So when the operator uses make PREFIX=3D/somedir do I rigorously plop
> everthing under PREFIX and patch the TCL/PERL/PYTHON destinations to matc=
h,
> or do I go ahead and plop those in the SITE_PERL, PYTHON_SITELIBDIR, etc
> actual locations on the box?
>=20
> Doing everything under PREFIX makes it easier to properly form the pkg-li=
st,
> but that can be coded around to.
>=20

You certainly should respect PREFIX, but now PERL/ruby/tcl etc
frameworks don't do this well. So don't think about this now and
install everything under SITE_PERL etc. Somebody should take a
look on these frameworks and fix them, then your port will be
PREFIX clean without your interaction. It's a framework problem,
not your port's. AFAIK, only ocaml framework handles it properly now.

--=20
Stanislav Sedov         MBSD labs, Inc.         <ssedov@mbsd.msk.ru>
=F2=CF=D3=D3=C9=D1, =ED=CF=D3=CB=D7=C1         http://mbsd.msk.ru

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.  -- A. Einstein
PGP fingerprint:  F21E D6CC 5626 9609 6CE2  A385 2BF5 5993 EB26 9581