Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 19:00:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu
Cc:        brett@lariat.org, jon@caamora.com.au, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Change in crypto policy in France

Three points to add to this little chat...

(1)	The US is not bound by any treaties until they are ratified
	by congress; many treaties are signed, but never ratified
	(e.g. "the moon treaty" outlawing deployment of orbital
	nuclear weapons, weapons platforms, and EMP devices).

(2)	No one willing to blow up the world trade center would
	ever risk the penalties for exporting cryptography; neither
	would foreign powers hostile to US interests (yeah, right).

(3)	Technically, use of evidence obtained via wiretapping may
	be a violation of the 5th ammendment to the US constitution,
	which acknowledges the right to avoid self incrimination.  In
	combination with the Miranda ruling, this means that any
	surreptiously obtained evidence can not be used for criminal
	prosecution.  Test cases which would determine the legality
	of wiretapping evidence at the apellate level have a habit of
	being dropped before they can become binding case law.

	On the other hand, privacy is not explicitly guaranteed, only
	the ability to be secure in your person and property without
	due process (color me a constitutional constructionist, but
	Hoover and Ness tended to overstep a lot of bounds as a means
	to an end).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---