Date:      Sun, 09 Aug 1998 17:47:41 +0200
From:      Peter Olsson <pol@leissner.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What do these SCSI-error messages mean?

I got the following errors repeating on the console of one of our new
servers. Before it was taken into production, fortunately...

I pressed Enter and got the Password-prompt so the machine seemed
to respond. I tried a couple of times more and got a few Login-
prompts and then the machine stopped respondig, it just repeated
the messages. After a reboot the machine can't find the disk anymore.

I don't have the hardware specification with me, but it is a
Pentium II 400 with a 9 GB disk. The SCSI controller is Adaptec
2940 if I remember right.

I haven't had time to look deep into the problem, I will do that after
the weekend. I just wonder if someone knows what these messages are
trying to tell me? Do they give any clues as to what has happened?

sd0(ahc0:0:0): SCB 0x1 - timed out in message out phase, SCSISIGI==0xb6
SEQADDR=0x99 SCSISEQ=0x12 SSTAT0=0x7 SSTAT1=0x3
sd0(ahc0:0:0): abort message in mesasge buffer
sd0(ahc0:0:0): SCB 0x0 - timed out in message out phase, SCSISIGI==0xa6
SEQADDR=0x99 SCSISEQ=0x12 SSTAT0=0x7 SSTAT1=0x3
sd0(ahc0:0:0): no longer in timeout
ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 2 SCBs aborted

Thanks for your time!

Peter Olsson    pol@leissner.se