Date:      Sun, 04 May 2008 11:38:03 +0200
From:      Colin Brace <cb@lim.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   server (partly) fails: hardware?

Hi all,

I have FreeBSD installed on a ~6 year old IBM NetVista box; it serves a
headless gateway/server/WAP for my home network. I upgraded it from v6 to
v7 in mid January, building a custom kernel with altq and the new
scheduler. It has been running fine since early December.

However, three times during the past few days, it has stop functioning. The
WAN connection dies and I can no longer ssh into the box. However, I can
still ping it, and I can still ssh from one LAN client to another via the
FreeBSD box.

IOW, it seems to be dying, but not freezing, if that makes any sense. Alas,
there is nothing in /var/messages to indicate what happens. I don't think
it is succumbing to excessive load; it has a 1.6 MHz Pentium IV, 512 MB
RAM, rarely uses swap, and the load averages tend to be very light.

At this point, I assume a hardware issue, and I can have the box tested by
a local whitebox shop later this week, but I am open to other avenues to
purse as well.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

--
  Colin Brace