Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 00:37:40 -0800
From:      Eric <eric@tek-shop.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   recommended way to update

I'm wondering if there is a preferred way to update (non system) software on
a BSD box.

specifically, I'm using mozilla .9.3 and I noticed that .9.6 is out. I've
also heard the KDE 2.2.2 will be out soon (if not already).

Do I have to wait for a freebsd version of this software to arrive, or can it
be installed now?

And how? Should I delete the old packages and install new ones? Or will
installing new on top of old be Ok.

Is there anything stopping me from downloading the source and compiling it?
Will it put things in the proper places, or is that my job. Or do I have to
wait for something to show up in the ports collection? Should I sync my ports
tree?

There doesn't seem to be any good documentation on updating software. There's
lots of good stuff on installing and deleting, but no upgrades. This is
especially more difficult when you deal with linux compatibility issues.

please help

thanks

eric