Date:      Sun, 4 Jul 1999 10:55:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: support for i386 hardware debug watch points

In article <local.mail.freebsd-hackers/199907041453.KAA03044@dean.pc.sas.com> yo
u write:
>This is not as efficent as it could be implemented with a separate
>flag to indicate whether saving the debug registers is necessary since
>an i486).

Yes; you may want to just use another bit in pcb_flags that indicates
if the debug registers are in use.

>Should 'struct reg' be extended to directly include the debug
>registers or should we go the route of having another data structure
>for the debug registers, not unlike how the floating point registers
>are handled?

I'd be inclined to create another data structure, unless the debug
registers are architecturally defined to be identical on all x86
chips.

>Otherwise, I think I will need to set up a 'struct dbregs', provide
>the appropriate 'fill_dbregs()' and 'set_dbregs()', and then provide a
>PT_SETDBREGS, PT_GETDBREGS interface to 'ptrace()'.

Either that, or create a routine like i386_set_breakpoint() in
sys_machdep that would handle setting breakpoints for different
types of cpu architectures.
--
Jonathan