Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 1998 17:28:31 -0500
From:      tmulholl@vectrainternational.com (Mulholland, Terry)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CableModem & LAN setup

I have a slightly newbiesh question..

I have the following problem.  I am trying to setup Freebsd
2.2.5-RELEASE to allow several win 95 machines access to the internet.
My
connection to the internet is  a cablemodem / static IP address.

Current Situation:

My ROGERS connection is as follows:  IP(static) 24.112.49.160

Netmask:255.255.248.0

Gateway:24.112.48.1
                                                            Domain
ROGERS.WAVE.CA
                                                            DNS:
24.112.32.2

I have this setup on the de0 interface in the BSD box.  It runs fine, I
can ftp, ping etc fine.

On the le0 interface i configured it as follows:  IP:192.168.0.1
                                                            netmask
255.255.255.0

On the BSD box gateway = "YES"
In the /etc hosts file it has the following machines
192.168.0.x (for every machines)
24.112.48.1
24.112.32.2

So the BSD box can ping all the other local win95 machines. and the
local win95 machines can ping BOTH cards in the BSD box.

ALL other options are for a default install.

Each win95 machine is configured as follows:  IP 192.168.0.x
                                                            netmask
255.255.255.0
                                                            gateway
192.168.0.1

Now the problem is, as far as the win95 machines go, I cannot get out to
the internet.  I can ftp to and
from the BSD machine, but I cannot see the internet, either by name or
IP.

The question...

What am I doing wrong? Or do you need more info?  I did not include the
netstat -r but can if you need that information.

I will send your answer (if it works) to the FAQ and HANDBOOK so that it

doesnt have to be answered again in your name.  Thanks.

Terry Mulholland
tmulholl@vectrainternational.com