Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 07:21:20 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Marc Wandschneider <marcw@lanfear.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 80x50 console mode?

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 10:54:10PM -0800, Marc Wandschneider wrote:

> 	is there a way to set up console mode to do 80x50?  I'm currently actually
> using some funky looking swiss font, but would be happy to switch if
> required.
>
> 	kind of like the equivalent of the old DOS mode 80x50.
>
> 	can this be done?

  # vidcontrol VGA_80x50

man vidcontrol for the full range of options. You can also put

allscreens_flags="VGA_80x50"

in /etc/rc.conf to set it for all console screens at boot-up. As
someone pointed out yesterday, the "allscreens_flags" option only
works for some vidcontrol options; you can't set fg and bg colours
this way, for instance.

HTH

> 	Thanks!
>
> 	marc.

PERL has been described as "the duct tape of the Internet"
and "the Unix Swiss Army chainsaw"
				- Computer Shopper 12/99