Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 15:30:57 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@citusc.usc.edu>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: Mutexes and semaphores

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 12:22:37AM -0700, Matt Dillon wrote:

>     Who gives a fart about getpid() ... now time() is a function that
>     would benefit greatly from a globally shared userland read-only page!

Unfortunately it's fairly often used in benchmarks against "that
penguin thing" as a "null" syscall. I've even seen one benchmark which
used getpid() to claim zero scaling of syscall latency with increasing
process load under Linux compared to a more physically possible linear
scaling under FreeBSD.

Older versions used to cache the pid in userland, I think, but they
removed that when they added their kernel threads stuff. I don't know
if it's treated specially in the SMP case, but it sounds like the kind
of thing they would do to try and win benchmarks.

Kris