Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 2008 20:11:28 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        freebsd@hub.org
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Very large kernel

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, freebsd@hub.org wrote:

> > Alex de Kruijff wrote:
> > > I noticed that the kernel directory was very large compaired to 6.1. Is
> > > this for debugging and can I safely remove the symbols files I want to
> > > save some space?
> >
> > Yes but if you encounter a panic and need to submit a bug report then you
> > will need at least the kernel.debug and whatever modules you are using.
>
> Two questions for this ...
>
>  a. can I move these to a larger partition temporarily, and if I have a crash,
> move them back to do debugging?
>
>  b. is there some setting I can use in make.conf to have it auto-install the
> symbols files to a seperate directory on 'installkernel'?

If you do not clean your /usr/obj regularly, you can simply use

make installkernel KERNCONF=MYOWN INSTALL_NODEBUG=

and later use .symbols files from /usr/obj/.../sys/MYOWN/*

Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck@FreeBSD.org ]
*** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- marck@rinet.ru ***