Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 11:09:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "K.J.Koster" <kjk1@ukc.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kees Jan Koster <kjk1@ukc.ac.uk>
Subject:   MFS config and disk usage

Hello FreeBSD-questions,

I though I understood how MFS uses diskspace, but I was wrong. Please help
me out.

I have two swap partitions, one on /dev/sd0s2b and one on /dev/sd1s2b,
each about 50Mb. Since I wanted to use MFS (very large performance
increase!), I mounted the /dev/sd1s2b partition as an MFS disk on /tmp,
leaving /dev/sd0s2b as a normal swap partition. This works fine and fast.

Trouble starts when I put substantial amounts of stuff in /tmp. As far as
I can make out, mount_mfs process grows to 50Mb as /tmp fills up, eating
my swap space.

My question (finally) is: Why do I give mount_mfs the 50Mb /dev/sd1s2b
partition, if that disk space is not used to swap the information into?

How can I best combine the two swap partitions and an MFS disk? Is there a
way that I can explain to mount_mfs that it can use all available swap
space, and have both /dev/sd0s2b and /dev/sd1s2b as swap partitions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

    Groetjes,
      Kees Jan

PS.  Please CC me, I'm not on the list.

PPS. I just can't get FreeBSD to crash, no matter how I try ;)

  Kees Jan Koster                     46 Kemsing Gardens
  e-mail: kjk1@ukc.ac.uk              Canterbury, Kent
  phone:  UK-1227-452151              CT2 7RF, United Kingdom
             Holland...  isn't that near Amsterdam?