Date:      Sat, 02 May 1998 18:30:59 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A GUI greyscale interface by default

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > level first, before we even begin to talk GUI. For example, while
> > installing printing, I discovered that /stand/sysinstall is completely
> > blind to the /usr/ports/print branch of the ports tree. This means it
> > can't find ghostscript, freetype, etc., and therefore crashes. We need
>
> Huh?  Sysinstall has NO implicit knowledge of the ports tree and never
> has had.  What are you even talking about here?

Well, then obviously we need to add something. :) What I saw was that 1)
most of the "blah-1.2.3.tar.gz not found" messages were from
/usr/ports/print programs, and I looked at the 'add packages' screen and
2) didn't see 'print' as a category. Therefore, I jumped to the
conclusion that 3) /stand/sysinstall can't see files referenced in
/usr/ports/print. If it's hard coded for all the packages, then that's
bad, isn't it? Why does it not find ghostscript (4 or 5), gv, freetype,
transfig, teTeX, freetype, playmidi, postgresql or gdb? I thought all
the pkg_add's were on disk 1, it's only the source ports that are split
between disks 3 and 4. If packages are split, we need to address this,
because crashes on basic dependencies like ghostscript are bad.

And yes, I got apsfilter off my 2.2.5 disks.

--> Don