Date:      Wed, 7 May 2014 17:57:47 +0000
From:      "Marty J. Sullivan" <marty.sullivan@cornell.edu>
To:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   nfsv4 server with ACL's for RHEL clients

I am testing FreeBSD 10.0 for use as a ZFS storage server. Currently I am t=
esting Active Directory integration and serving files via AFP, SMB/CIFS, an=
d NFSv4. My current production environment contains mostly Linux (CentOS/RH=
EL) and OSX machines all bound to the same Active Directory domain.

So far, I have gotten the Active Directory authentication set up via Samba4=
.1+Winbind and it is working nicely as are the related CIFS shares. I also =
have AFP set up via afpd and it is also working great. ACL's a treated the =
same way as they are on other systems in my production environment.

Where I am having trouble is getting NFSv4 to work with ACL's. First off, I=
 am very used to NFS on Linux and so the /etc/exports syntax is almost cert=
ainly what is causing my troubles. On RHEL, here is what my /etc/exports mi=
ght look like:

  /data   mycomputer.mydomain.com(rw,no_root_squash)

And I start mountd with the option "--manage-gids" so that gid's are not ma=
naged by the client (since they would then be limited to 16 groups). This w=
orks great and ACL's work fine across all of my Linux systems.

On FreeBSD, this is what I have for my /etc/exports at the current time:

  V4: / mycomputer.mydomain.com
  /data -maproot=3Droot -network xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -mask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Now, I've read many posts about this syntax and I can't seem to find a stra=
ight answer as to whether the "/data" entry below the "V4:" entry applies t=
o NFSv4 or NFSv3. Either way, it doesn't really work. I've tried tinkering =
with these exports in many permutations and I just can't get it to work. Mo=
st of the time the machine will be denied access (due to bad exports file).=
 Other times, it will mount but will just say "Input/Output error" when I t=
ry to read from the share. And finally, sometimes I can mount the share on =
an RHEL system, but when I use nfs4_getfacl, it says that the operation is =
not supported by the server.

My other concern is, even if I get the ACL's to work, mountd on the FreeBSD=
 server doesn't have a similar option to --manage-gids so the NFS group lim=
itation will apply to the RHEL clients. I've read about gssd and kerberizin=
g, but I don't feel like that's possible on the RHEL clients. So how do I s=
olve this problem??

Any help with this is appreciated.