Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:40:08 -0600
From:      Brent Macnaughton <Brent.Macnaughton@rdc.ab.ca>
To:        'Doug White' <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>, Brent Macnaughton <Brent.Macnaughton@rdc.ab.ca>
Cc:        "'freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Upgrade to 4.8 STABLE - Root mount failed: 6

I had da in my kernel configure file:

device          sym             # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets)
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)

During the boot process, if I press the spacebar to abort loading of the
kernel, I can do an ls and see the files on the drive. As soon as the kernel
tries to mount root , I get this:

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
no such device 'da'
setrootbyname failed