Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 1996 12:07:42 -0600 (MDT)
From:      wes@intele.net
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Unixware

Gary Palmer writes:
 > 	The dream of a single flavour of Unix came a step closer last
 > week, as the seven firms that resell the operating system on Intel
 > platforms agreed to ditch their own versions and standardise on
 > Unixware.
 >
 > [...]
 >
 > 	"This is a long overdue move towards single Unix," said Mike
 > Martin, general manager of technology at ICL,which has been using
 > Unixware on all it's Unix boxes for a year. "The operating system will
 > cease to be a unique selling poing, instead we'll compete on things
 > like high-availability technology or the quality of our service."

Everyone who wants a "single UNIX" raise your hands.  Anyone?  I had
hoped this idiot idea would die along with VMS, but I guess the
mindless minions of MicroSoft are still maintaining this is a
disadvantage of UNIX.

Considering the masses of software that won't run on all three of
MicroSlop's "compatible" offerings -- Win 3.1, Win95, and WinNT -- I'm
surprised *anyone* is still gullible enough to think this "one
version" of UNIX is really going to end their compatibility woes.
And, as the article artfully *didn't* point out, all of the UNIX
vendors with a large enough installed base to go it on their own will
continue to make the operating system a selling point.  There are
considerable differences between Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX, and they
each perform better in certain environments.  This means it will not
be possible for *any* one operating system to compete with them in all
areas, despite what the denizens of SCO would have you believe.

IMHO, anything with the name "SCO" on it is to be avoided; I get much
better tech support for FreeBSD, and FreeBSD is much more stable.  ;^)

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder