Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2012 09:14:04 -0800
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VPS FreeBSD Hosting

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 2:18 AM, Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org> wrote:

> However, these are only on the new 3rd generation of EC2 instances, which
> are heavy duty systems. For many uses micro instances are enough, but you
> still have to pay the "Windows tax" on those. I don't know whether Colin is
> working to change that, or if there are technical reasons why it's
> impossible.

I am running a t1.micro instance w/FreeBSD 8.3 i386, based on Colin's
original scheme of booting from a 1GB Linux partition which grub boots
a BSD root disk.  It works fine, and no Windoze tax.  I am happy to
share an AMI which works - my current approach is to use a single 16GB
drive with fairly normal partitions and GEOM ELI encrypted swap.

- M