Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 06:53:39 GMT
From:      "Matt Anderson" <emattman@cascadeaccess.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server feels sluggish ...

>On 16 Mar, The Hermit Hacker punched keys in this particular order:
>>
>> Okay, this has to be the worst report of all time, but one of my
ligher
>> loaded servers feels more sluggish then the heavy loaded one ...
starting
>> commands seems to 'hang' for a bit and then go, changing folders in
mail
>> takes forever, etc ... yet there is about a 1/4 the processes
running on
>> this system ... so this is more a 'is there something I shuld be
looking
>> at' kinda email, since I can't pinpoint anything as being wrong, it
just
>> *feels* sluggish :(
>
>Are you working on it remotely? In that case you might be looking at
>DNS timeouts if it doesn't "know" the machine you're connecting from.
>IIRC, that's about 10s every time you connect to it.
>
>> The server itself is a Dual PIII 1.2Ghz on an Intel MB in an Intel
SR2300
>> chassis ... Adaptec 2120S ZCR RAID Controller ... 4GB of RAM ...
6x36GB
>> Seagate Cheetah drives in a RAID5 configuration ... Onboard Intel
ethernet

>Maybe too much RAM? I know someone with a VIA C3 processor who put in
>1G of RAM, and the machine became really slow (a memory throughput of
>~6MB/s). It was much faster with 512MB RAM.
>
>I don't think PIII chipsets are known to suffer from likewise
problems,
>but you never know.
>Your loaded server also has 4GB, does it have the same chipset?
>
>All this is probably just fine, but the things you can forget to
>configure can be rather embarassing. ;)
>
>--
>
>Alban Hertroys

For what it's worth.  I saw the same behaviour on some some servers I
had built myself.  The slowness happend when I took the RAM to 1G from
512M.  These had IWILL motherboards and PIII processors.
The wierd part, out of 3 machines, supposedly all identical, only two
exhibited slowness when (and instability) when taken to 1G.

Matt Anderson