Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 96 22:40:17 +0200
From:      Dmitry Solodov <dima@irs.riga.lv>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems with SCSI HDDs

Hello,

there is a big problem (at least for me) with SCSI HDDs.

There is a PC with Adaptec AIC-7850 on board. There are three
HDDs attached to the SCSI-2 bus:
 ID
----------------------------
 0        Conner CFP1080S        (SCSI terminated)
 1        Quantum Lightning 540S (SCSI not terminated)
 2        Conner CFP2105S        (SCSI not terminated)
 7        AIC-7850               (SCSI terminated)

When FreeBSD 2.1 is booted (I booted by means of install.bat/inst_ide.bat
 under DOS), it detects ahc0, waits "SCSI deviced to settle", then shows
list of disks' data, and then displays about 10-15 copies of the string
        "ahc0: WARNING no command for scb 0"
and goes to reboot.

When the HDD with ID 2 or ID 1 is detached from the bus (by removing
cabling), FreeBSD boots ok. Besides this I tried to insert/remove
terminators on the HDDs, but the problem persists.

Why does it work with 2 SCSI HDDs, but it does not operate with 3 ones ?
Are there any hard-coded limitations ?

The HDD with ID 2 was installed yesterday and there ar 3 partitions
on it, first one is used by OS/2, on second one NT is installed, and 3rd
was reserved for FreeBSD. The HDD works fine under those OS. So the
hardware configuration seems to be proper.

Could you please provide any possible solutions for the problem ?
What do I miss ?

Thanks in advance. Dima.
--
Dmitry Solodov