Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 14:58:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        chuckr@picnic.mat.net (Chuck Robey), erik@habatech.no, scot@london.virgin.net, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD on 164SX board

Kenneth D. Merry writes:

 > One odd thing that happened when we stuck the 7891 (it's a 64-bit board)
 > board in the Miata was that SRM wouldn't load while the board was in a
 > 64-bit slot on the primary PCI bus.  It gave some error about an
 > unrecognized SCSI controller or something along those lines.  It did work
 > when we moved the board onto the secondary, 32-bit PCI bus.

Congratulations, you have an old, broken-pyxis Miata which has the dma
bug (you can't do a dma read across an 8k page boundary).

The 64-bit slots are directly on the primary PCI bus, the 32-bit slots
are behind a PPB which breaks up dma transactions so that they don't
cross page boundaries.  On machines with the DMA bug, the SRM console
has been hacked to prevent users from putting boards into the 64-bit
slots which might trigger the bug (eg, anything that they're not
certain WON'T trigger the bug).  If a cam driver won't trigger this
bug, and you want to put the card in a 64-bit slot (and you may want,
if you have a 21052 ppb) you can turn this feature off on a per-card
basis by using 'set pci_device_override <dev_id><vendor_id>' at the
srm console prompt (before moving the board).

Cheers,

Drew