Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:43:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        perky@python.or.kr
Subject:   Wake on Lan

Can somebody clue me in on how Wake On Lan is supposed to work?
Does it require any support at all from the OS, or is it totally a
BIOS thing?

I've built the wake-on-lan program submitted via
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=23151 and, although it
seems to work to bring W2K box out of suspend mode, what I'd really
like to do is to be able to "shutdown -p now" a box and then boot it
up remotely.  Is this even supposed to be possible?

I've tried to power on the following types of machines
without success:

	Dell Optiplex GX110 (i810) (onboard 3c905C)
	Dell PowerEdge 4400 (onboard fxp)
	SuperMicro 370DER   (oboard fxp)

In all cases, I've enabled the PME or "remote wakeup" in the bios.
Does FreeBSD need to do something on the way down to make this work?

Thanks,

Drew