Date:      Thu, 25 Dec 2003 11:31:47 -0700
From:      Travis Poppe <tlp@LiquidX.org>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        gerald@freebsd.org
Subject:   The latest WINE and /dev/mixer*

Greetings.

I've recently been playing Max Payne on FreeBSD 5.2-RC with the latest WINE (works like a charm, very minor glitches.)

However, sound does not work, nor does it work on any other game I've tried. WINE spits out this message, and I believe this has something to do with why sound doesn't work:

err:wave:OSS_WaveOutInit /dev/mixer0: can't read info!
err:wave:OSS_WaveOutInit /dev/mixer1: can't read info!
err:wave:OSS_WaveInInit /dev/mixer0: can't read info!
err:wave:OSS_WaveInInit /dev/mixer1: can't read info!

I actually hacked some of the code to get it to point to /dev/mixer0 instead of /dev/mixer, which didn't help, anyway.

My permissions are good to go as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Travis Poppe