Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 13:36:59 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kernel support for POSIX pthreads (?)

Back on May 9th, on the freebsd-smp mailing list, you wrote:

>The current implementation only has one execution context per process.  A
>two-level implementation is in the works.

I'd just like to ask what the current status on this project is.

I have a rather substantial network server that I would very much like to
convert over to using POSIX pthreads, but for various reasons I really do
still want to keep it hosted on FreeBSD.

I think that this particular server would make an excelent stress test for
any new kernel support for POSIX threads that you blokes might be cooking
up, so when and if you need someone to do some Beta or even Alpha testing
on the new kernel pthreads support, please do let me know.  Thanks.

P.S.  By the way, I am also curious about how pthreads will be scheduled
by the kernel.  Will each one be treated with the same sort of respect by
the scheduler as each process now gets, or will a group of threads that
are all associated with a given process merely be allocated sub-time-slices
out of the slices that get allocated to the whole process?

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/
-- Wpoison (web harvester poisoning) - demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/wpoison/