Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 18:01:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: perl stangeness on 3.3-RC

On 15-Sep-99 David E. Cross wrote:
> We have a very hetergenous environment here (even among the FreeBSD
> boxes).
> Each PC tends to be just a little bit different.  This expecially
> causes
> problems since we wish to have XDM on each machine on boot and have X
> on a NFS partition.  TO alleviate this we invented a simple Perl
> script
> to replace /usr/X11R6/bin/X to run the correct program on each
> machine:

Umm, you can edit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers to configure xdm to
run say /usr/config/X (which would be stored on the local machiens hard
drive) instead of /usr/X11R6/bin/X.  This is a much simpler solution.
:)  (Just symlink /usr/config/X to /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_Whatever.)

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://www.cslab.vt.edu/~jobaldwi/