Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:56:21 +0100
From:      Eduardo Morras <nec556@retena.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to upgrade packages on FreeBSD

At 00:45 31/01/2012, RW wrote:

>Making it work like Ubuntu would need a lot more hardware and a lot
>more work from port maintainers to support branching the ports tree. At
>the moment there aren't really enough to maintain one tree.

Making a resume/summary of the thread; more hardware, time and people
are needed to maintain a package system up-to-date. I have a free
server (amd64 freebsd8.2p6), if i built all packages with their
standard options, that's without make config, Can i upload them to
the official package ftp? Should i make my own un-official ftp
package server to allow others download them?

Perhaps it's not clear, this answer has ironic mode off, joking mode
off and i want to collaborate making the standard packages.

When i needed the package system? When i don't want a downtime if a
server must be reinstalled. Compiling everything takes too much time
for non critical ports (bash, gcc4.6, ...), even at first i pkg_add
important apps, when everything is working, i update them by ports.