Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 96 11:50:49 PST
From:      BRETT_GLASS@infoworld.com
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com, michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com, rschof@mccomm.nl
Subject:   Re: After changing to an AHA2940 I can't boot the kernel.

> At least Buslogics (I've only used a 445c) and NCRs (I've only used an
> SC200 with an ASUS P55TP4XE) seem to adapt to the geometry in the
> partition table.

Buslogic is better than most, since they make a special effort to be
compatible with all Adaptec controllers (both the old and new ones).
They're more compatible with Adaptec controllers than Adaptec is within its
own product line!

The CAM specification, which was created by a group within the ANSI SCSI
Committee and then largely ignored, gives an algorithm for determining a
sector mapping scheme. This algorithm seems to work in most cases, but not
all controllers use it. In particular, the old Adaptecs and Future Domains
didn't.

--Brett