Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2018 22:58:13 -0600
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        marklmi@yahoo.com
Cc:        Sean Bruno <sbruno@freebsd.org>, ports-list freebsd <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>,  Warner Losh <imp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: qemu-arm-static: bsd-user/arm/target_syscall.h: #define TARGET_HW_MACHINE_ARCH "armv6" // what of armv7?

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 10:41 PM Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> 11.x:
> o 11.2-STABLE armv6 BANANAPI
> o 11.2-STABLE armv6 BEAGLEBONE
> o 11.2-STABLE armv6 CUBIEBOARD
> o 11.2-STABLE armv6 CUBIEBOARD2
> o 11.2-STABLE armv6 CUBOX-HUMMINGBOARD
> o 11.2-STABLE armv6 RPI-B
> o 11.2-STABLE armv6 RPI2
> o 11.2-STABLE armv6 PANDABOARD
> o 11.2-STABLE armv6 WANDBOARD
>
> 12.x+ (I got the list from a 13.0 snapshot announcement):
> o 13.0-CURRENT armv6 RPI-B
> o 13.0-CURRENT armv7 BANANAPI
> o 13.0-CURRENT armv7 BEAGLEBONE
> o 13.0-CURRENT armv7 CUBIEBOARD
> o 13.0-CURRENT armv7 CUBIEBOARD2
> o 13.0-CURRENT armv7 CUBOX-HUMMINGBOARD
> o 13.0-CURRENT armv7 RPI2
> o 13.0-CURRENT armv7 PANDABOARD
> o 13.0-CURRENT armv7 WANDBOARD
> o 13.0-CURRENT armv7 GENERICSD
>
> So as of 12.x+ most are armv7 --as are most new ones
> expected to be.
>
> As stands, in my amd64 -> armv7 13.0 cross-build activity,
> uname -p and the like under the chroot context are
> returning armv6 instead of armv7 unless I override via
> a UNAME_p definition.
>
> This appears to trace back to: bsd-user/arm/target_syscall.h
> and its:
>
> #define TARGET_HW_MACHINE       "arm"
> #define TARGET_HW_MACHINE_ARCH  "armv6"
>
> and lack context sensitivity, such as to the FreeBSD version
> that it is in use under.

Indeed, I opened this a couple of hours ago:
https://github.com/seanbruno/qemu-bsd-user/pull/70 -- It turns out
this is basically wrong, though I'm not sure immediately how to
rectify. I don't think we can reasonably decide at compile-time what
this should look like since all 32-bit ARM are shoved into this one
target, so perhaps the right answer is that armv6 and armv7 need to
split off from arm.arm and we use a check like the one in the above
PR. CC'ing imp for a wisdom drop.