Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 11:14:34 -0500
From:      Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 pcmcia card setup

At 11:03 3/27/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi all -

Rule #1.  dmesg output is always helpful.  Kernel conf file would be
helpful in this case as well.

>I've got an IBM laptop that I'm trying to set up as a firewall/router...I've
>got 2 very similar Linksys PCMCIA cards in it, and regardless of which card
>I insert first, the SECOND card gives me an error saying "no free
>configuration available". The first card works fine, regardless of what card
>or what slot I use.
>
>I had posted on this previously, but unfortunately lost the reply...someone
>had mentioned changing the IO 0x###-0x### line in the pccard.conf file. I'm
>not sure what IOs are available/etc to change it to though...

I'm using an ep and an ed in my notebook without problems, simultaneously
(it's my firewall/gateway).  Make sure you have "device ed" in your kernel
conf, and not "device ed0 blahblahblah etc."  If you do it the second way,
you'll only get one device enabled by the kernel, and hence the error
message you're seeing.

It could be something else, but this is common.

You may also want to subscribe to freebsd-mobile.

-AL