Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2007 22:51:06 +0100
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 13:23:16 -0700 (PDT)
L Goodwin <xrayv19@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Last night, I was starting to install Samba3, but wrong FreeBSD disc
> (2) in the CD-ROM drive (first package to install on disc 1). After
> placing the right disc in the drive, I accidentally pushed the POWER
> button instead of the CD-ROM door open/close button and turned the
> computer off. In my defense, the power button is right next to it AND
> has a hair trigger. :-(

This shouldn't be a problem unless your pc is very old (8 years or so),
and it's a real power switch. On modern PCs the power switch is just a
low-voltage control line. A light touch is a signal to the OS to
shutdown cleanly - you have to hold the button down for several seconds
to force it.