Date:      30 Jan 2005 10:38:20 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Timothy Luoma <lists@tntluoma.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 1st security warning: "installed zlib version may contain a security bug"

Timothy Luoma <lists@tntluoma.com> writes:

> I was trying to configure && make 'clamav-0.81' when it complained
> about this:
>
> configure: error: The installed zlib version may contain a security
> bug. Please upgrade to 1.2.2 or later: http://www.zlib.net. You can
> omit this check with --disable-zlib-vcheck but DO NOT REPORT any
> stablility issues then!
>
> I went to zlib.net, downloaded 1.2.2, did './configure && make install
> clean'
>
> Is that all I need to do?  This is my first "security warning" so I
> want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

It sounds like you're missing the ports collection, to begin with.  It
will handle dependencies for you, a big help in upgrades.  And you
should try to use the FreeBSD base system upgrades and security
advisories for keeping up on security issues, rather than trying to
install bits and pieces yourself (unlike, say, Linux, FreeBSD is a
whole operating system).

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/security.html
http://www.freebsd.org/security/