Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:57:07 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote kernel debugging over serial

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:41:22 +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:

> This is a bad assumption.  There are all sorts of cables that could
> possibly be called ``null modem''.

Cool. I confess to not fully understanding how a cable can work for
Wintendo games but not GDB. An explanation is probably beyond the
charter of this list in any case.

> You don't say what you were doing at the other end.  Initially you
> need to get the other machine to go into ddb, for example by pressing
> ctrl-alt-esc, entering the command ``gdb'', and then single-stepping.

Ahhhhhh. THANK-YOU! If I'd have read closely enough, I'd have seen:

"In order to force a next trap immediately, simply type ``s''
(step). Your hosting GDB will now gain control over the target kernel"

However, this follows on two paragraphs after the instructions about
starting gdb on the "watching" machine, so it's natural for the novice
to sit and watch the protocol initialization fail merrily. :)

I think I can reorder that section of the handbook to provide better
clarity.  I'll speak again when I have something to contribute.

Thanks very much for the quick response, I can't tell you how much time
it's saved me. I only wish I'd mailed sooner. ;-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.