Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 00:58:09 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: USB CF reader (SanDisk) epilog

On Saturday 12 January 2002 04:49 am, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Well, my initial euphoria upon seeing that the SanDisk ImageMate Compact
> Flash reader is "supported" by FreeBSD has dissipated.  It seems that the
> CF reader produces errors after transferring a few tens of megabytes.
> Thereafter, the errors block all further access to the drive, and since
> nothing can stop or clear the errors (as far as I can tell), the only way
> to get out of the situation is to boot--but the only way to boot is to
> power-cycle the system, since the system refuses to shut down cleanly once
> this error (timeouts in umass) starts to occur.
>
> Since booting the system for each access to the CF card is unacceptable,
> especially when the system won't come down cleanly afterwards, it looks
> like I'm right back where I started--and FreeBSD offers no advantage over
> Windows in this respect, since it is just as defective in its reader
> support.
>
> For those interested, the error messages are:
>
> Jan 10 12:22:10 freebie /kernel: umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
> Jan 10 12:22:10 freebie /kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed,
> TIMEOUT
> Jan 10 12:22:40 freebie /kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed,
> TIMEOUT
>
> I looked all over the Web for help, but there was none.  As usual, the
> FreeBSD archives are down, and again as usual, although many people have
> encountered the same error as I have, nobody seems to have any clue as to
> why the error occurs, or how to fix it.  Here again, there is obviously no
> advantage to FreeBSD over Windows in this respect, and it may even be at a
> disadvantage, since you can at least get answers to most questions from
> Microsoft, if you pay for them.

Surely if it fails under both FreeBSD and Windows there's a very strong
suggestion that it's hardware problem, don't you think?

FWIW, the easiest way to get things off of compactflash card is to use a
PCMCIA adaptor.  Of course if you don't have a laptop you probably don't have
ready access to a PCMCIA, but if you do, it works nicely and cuts out another
layer or two of hardware in between.

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

-------> Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  (let him go home)  <-----------