Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2018 16:24:31 -0700
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        Xin LI <delphij@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /dev/crypto not being used in 12-STABLE

> On Dec 6, 2018, at 4:04 PM, Xin LI <delphij@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 11:37 AM John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net> =
wrote:
>>=20
>> I have upgraded two physical machines from 11-STABLE to 12-STABLE =
recently (one is 12.0-PRERELEASE r341380 and the other is =
12.0-PRERELEASE r341391). I noticed today that neither machine seems to =
be utilizing /dev/crypto. Typically I see at least ssh/sshd have the =
device open plus some programs from ports. But 'fuser' doesn't list any =
processes on either machine:
>>=20
>> # fuser /dev/crypto
>> /dev/crypto:
>>=20
>> Both machines are running custom kernels that include "device crypto" =
and "device cryptodev". One of them additionally has "device aesni".
>>=20
>> Is anyone else seeing this? Any idea what would cause it?
>=20
> Your average OpenSSL applications should not use /dev/crypto, if your
> goal is to utilize AES-NI (which does not require /dev/crypto).  On
> capable systems, AES-NI would be used automatically (and it's faster
> this way).

Thanks for the response. Is there a way to verify that AES-NI is being =
used for e.g. ssh? I'm also curious why/when/how the change to not use =
(or support?) /dev/crypto from base openssl was made.