Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:05:51 -0800
From:      Scott Gasch <sgasch@microsoft.com>
To:        "'Kaleb S. KEITHLEY'" <kaleb@ics.com>
Cc:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: de0 ethernet driver -- another puzzle

>I bought a Linksys EtherPCI LAN Card II after checking the Handbook to
>see if it was supported.
>
>The Handbook say this NIC is based on the DEC DC21xxx.

Hi Kaleb,

I don't recall which Linksys card it was but I bought one of their 10/100
cards
about 9 months ago.  It was supposed to be DEC chip based -- the handbook
said
so and the Linksys site agreed.

So when it arrived, I found it was based on some other, non-supported
chipset.
I do not know enough to write a driver and I didn't have time to learn so I
called up Linksys and asked what was up with the chipset switch.  They said
that
they had gotten the new chips cheaper and were switching production.  They
had
the older dec chip cards around so I was able to swap mine.

I don't know if this is what is up with your card or not, but it's worth a
look.

Scott