Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:55:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        infrastructure@apache.org
Subject:   /usr/bin/cvs consumes 60MB of memory, freezes

I'd submit this as a bug through the web site, but
http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html gives permission denied.

I cvsup'd (from a 4.7-prerelease) and made-world last night apache.org's
CVS server to RELENG4_7 to pick up the bind/resolver fixes, and now it's
getting hit with CVS processes that consume 60MB of memory and spin CPU in
a RUN state without limit.  Not all CVS processes get into this state, but
I can't discern a pattern to those who do.  No /tmp file corresponding to
a runaway process exists, as best I can tell.  I tried using ktrace to see
what it was doing, and nothing was captured.

Has anyone else seen this?  I know FreeBSD simply imports the CVS sources
from cvshome.org, and this change was probably seen with the 1.11.2
update; my next step will be to backrev and try older tags (which
shouldn't require backreving world, I'd hope), but I'm hoping I'm not the
only one seeing this.

	Brian