Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2003 02:07:31 -0800
From:      Micheas Herman <micheas@freep.org>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml.ventu@flashnet.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum swap no longer working.

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 07:30, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> ** Reply to note from Micheas Herman <micheas@freep.org> Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:00:04 -0800
>

> > #
> > # swapon /dev/vinum/swap
> > swapon: /dev/vinum/swap: Operation not supported by device
> > #
> >
> > Is this a 5.2 bug or do I have vinum incorrectly configured?
> >
> > I am using RAID 1 if that matters.
>
> Can't help you, but I'm just curious...
> What is the point in mirroring a swap partition?
> Isn't this slowing the system down?
>
>  bye & Thanks
>         av.

        If you lose your swap partition when it is in an unmountable
        state you may well suffer a kernel panic (hard crash). With
        drive warranties down to one year I have minimal confidence in
        my new drives.

        In theory it should also increase performance of reading from
        the swap file so performance will depend on what type of use
        your swap partition gets. It may be a wash, slow your system
        down noticeably, or speed your system up noticeably.

        If you really care you need to benchmark it under the loads that
        you will put your computer under.

        Micheas