Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 01:28:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Opinions wanted.

> > > If an 8255 (digital I/O) 8-bit port is opened via open() call by the user
> > > as O_RDWR then it becomes an output,
>
> It makes little sense to model the 8255 like this.  It would be much
> more sensible to allow open/close and require an ioctl to provide
> register access.

I would have to disagree with this, here's how I have it configure itself.

O_RDWR or O_WRONLY  makes it an output
O_RDONLY makes it an input

To have to ioctl() it for a basic operation like determining if it is an
input or output is just extra work when the open flags describe operation
precisely anyway. I have completed my work and debugged it (it took much
longer than expected). I would now like to request to have some kernel
type person look at it and tell me if I have major league screwed up
anything (it works fine in all my tests).