Date:      Thu, 01 Nov 2007 11:44:31 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        John Webster <jwebster@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Access to ftp mirror

--=-b7xyGx01hr6WnFQZ0p8o

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 08:19 -0700, John Webster wrote:
>=20
> --On Wednesday, October 31, 2007 09:52:01 +0100 Rudolf Cejka <cejkar@fit.=
vutbr.cz> wrote:
>=20
> > John Webster wrote (2007/10/30):
> >> I'm working on setting up a IPv6 ftp/cvsup mirror and I would=20
> >> like access to a mirror site with either rsync or cvsup access.
> >> I've tried contacting hostmaster at us.FreeBSD, but my mail
> >> bounced as undeliverable.
> >> How do I contact someone to get permission/terms and policies?
> >=20
> > Europe or some other region? You can contact me for an access to
> > ftp-maste.eu.FreeBSD.org in Europe, where both rsync and cvusp are
> > allowed. ... If you have plans to have an official mirror.
>=20
>=20
> Hmmm, I didn't think about that.  The "es" refers to Energy Sciences.
> We're in the US region (California). [<http://www.es.net/>]
>=20
> Is it allowable to have an IPv6 only official mirror?
>=20
>=20
> jw

Hmm.  We'll need to talk about the IPv6 only.  We're certainly
encouraging dual IPv4/IPv6 connectivity and several (including the
primary ftp.freebsd.org) sites are set up that way.  But IPv6 only would
mean the mirror is unusable by the huge majority of the user base so I'm
not sure how I feel about it being one of the ftpX.freebsd.org or
ftpX.us.freebsd.org hosts.  That thought hadn't crossed my mind yet.

One thought that did cross my mind already though...  cvsup is currently
IPv4 only.

--=20
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu