Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:50:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
To:        "Drew Derbyshire" <avatar+july2001@kew.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tracking -stable remotely/colocated

>From: "Drew Derbyshire" <avatar+july2001@kew.com>
>To: "Kenneth W Cochran" <kwc@world.std.com>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
>Subject: Re: Tracking -stable remotely/colocated
>Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 23:26:17 -0400
>
>A general question ... Why track STABLE on a inaccessible
>production machine?  Seems to me you only want the STABLE
>Releases and the security fixes, which are infrequent.

Perhaps...  But there are likely other things I'm interested
in getting installed/updated on that machine besides security
fixes.  Granted, security fixes should/would be high-priority,
but tracking -stable & cvs-all might indicate something I want. :)
"STABLE Releases?"  ??

>> - How do I install FreeBSD on such a machine?  It has a CDROM
>>   drive, but is there a way to install without connecting a
>>   monitor & keyboard?
>
>You are going to need a monitor/keyboard or serial console to

I thought so; just confirming...

>do a normal install.  How does this location install Frobooz
>OS machine or whatever they prefer if one can't boot the
>machines with a console?

They connect a keyboard & monitor for (whatever, usually NT
or RedHat) OS-install...

>(You could do a unattended install if you try hard enough with
>a custom CD which blindly copied what you wanted onto disk.
>Chuck the BSD Daemon help you if it dies -- sounds like no
>one else can.)

Probably not worth the trouble, or Someone Would Have Already
Done It... :)

>Regarding installworld, you could kill by hand the processes
>you don't want running to make the system  quiescent.  The
>thing you don't want is some random background server trying
>to run a module you're in the middle of rewriting.   Make sure
>your securelevel isn't too high.

Ah, makes sense; hadn't thought about that...  Hmmm, so in
that case, what would be the difference between single-user
mode & "multiuser" with lotsa daemons shut-down?

>I routinely install kernels in multi-user mode immediately
>before reboots.  Again, you just don't want something trying
>to load a new module as you're rewriting it, so make the
>quiescent  by hand before.

Apparently this is do-able in Linux via some rc trickery... (?)

-kc