Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 23:47:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        silby@silby.com, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: the incredible shrinking socket

In article <local.mail.freebsd-net/20020707192134.T15265-100000@patrocles.silby.com> you write:

>On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
>> Possibly, but the additional pointer dereference would be expensive
>> and a lot of code would have to change without the compatibility
>> macros.
>>
>> I sort of did it as a proof of concept, but of course since it doesn't
>> completely work I haven't proved it. :)
>>

>> --
>> -Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
>
>Well, if it's not working I wouldn't worry too much about it.  A TIME_WAIT
>cache or socket buffer autosizing would probably save a lot more memory.
>:)

I do have a smaller TIME_WAIT structure done; it even throws the socket
away since it isn't needed.  The savings are currently about 500 bytes,
and I can and also perform some other savings in the general case.

I think Alfred was just trying to get his changes done first before I got
around to committing what I have.  :-) :-) :-)  (It's currently in p4)
--
Jonathan