Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:17:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        scheper@beast.toad.net (Richard Scheper)
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP + XDM = keyboard lockup

> > The XFree86 server tries to locate an empty vty to use for the X
> > sesssion.  If xdm is started in rc.local, the X server will run BEFORE
> > init(8) starts invoking getty(8), and will find /dev/ttyv1 empty and
> > tries to occupy that vty.  When rc.init is finished, init(8) will run
> > a copy of getty(8) in /dev/ttyv1, then, *Bomb* The X server and getty
> > both tries to read from the keyboard.

I don't believe this is the case, because of the SMP factor.  If
SMP is disabled, he does not see the problem.

I believe that if what you are saying is correct, merely following
the xdm documentation and starting the X server in /etc/ttys should
resolve his problem.

I still believe, however, that there is a real problem with user
space code accessing the I/O bus directly under SMP, without it
holding the Big Giant Lock.  There is a real reason that the lock
exists; it's not just there to piss all over concurrency -- that's
just a side effect.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---