Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 23:01:28 -0500
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.net>
Cc:        dsturnbull@optushome.com.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updated install files for 4.5-R after security patches?

On Apr 20, at 05:55 AM, Rogier R. Mulhuijzen wrote:

> At 07:15 19-4-2002 -0500, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
> >In article <1019175741.22772.5.camel_darkstar.turnbull.org@ns.sol.net>,
> >Sections 9 and 19. In a nutshell, one uses the 'cvsup' tool to freshen
> >your source code, then one rebuilds and installs the OS and/or kernel.
> >It's not as daunting a task as it sounds.
> >
> >As it turns out, there's a very recent thread in freebsd-security about
> >this very topic, if you want to know the ups and downs about it.
>
> I actually know David and I know he's familiar with cvsupping and
> rebuilding from source.
>
> I guess what his question should be read as "if the ISO images and
> distributions are not updated after the -SECURE branch has been updated,
> why isn't this the case?"
>
> And I must agree, we know there are bugs in 4.5-RELEASE, yet we don't
> update the images for 4.5-RELEASE.
>
> Yes of course people can use cvsup and upgrade that way. But what about
> people who are about to install from scratch? Do we REALLY want them to
> install a faulty version and then upgrade with cvsup? I can't see any good
> reasons to not update them, or replace 4.5-RELEASE with 4.5-RELEASE-pN at
> the very least.

You and David ought to check out that thread in freebsd-security. I think
it's died down now, but it does cover your and other's issues better than
I care to try to interate here.

For my money, I came down in it with a "If you want it, you're going to
have to get that ball moving for yourself, 'cuz it's got it's technological
downsides, and The Project hasn't the resources to devote.".

> And also, cvsup is a beautiful thing, but I can't see someone with a 500MB
> harddrive doing a make buildworld. And yes I sometimes am forced to run
> FreeBSD on such a small system.

Now, I don't recall seeing this a an issue in that thread I refer to.
OTOH, I don't know that it would have added or subtracted much, either.

> >BTW, freebsd-hackers is not the appropriate venue for questions like this.
> >Neither is freebsd-security, actually. Try freebsd-questions next time.
>
> Since he was aware of cvsup I don't think -questions was the right place.
> He just should have elaborated a little more.

I meant no offense in that comment. I hope none was taken. I hope none is
taken with this, either: Do we really want to open this discussion [again]
in freebsd-hackers?

> Greets,
>          Doc

SeeYa,