Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 22:06:24 +1000 (EST)
From:      andrew@ugh.net.au
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        snadge@gemcorp.com.au
Subject:   Re: Termcap and cursor keys

On Fri, 7 May 1999 andrew@ugh.net.au wrote:

> I'm having trouble with identifying the press of cursor keys. To use the
> up arrow key as an example...

Well I have now found out (from www.kermit-project.org/faq-c-arr.html)
that vt220 keypads can be in one of 2 modes - application or cursor. In
cursor mode the keys send ESC [ A and in application mode they send ESC O
A. Apparently it is never same to assume that the keypad is in any one
particular mode and application software should set the keypad mode.

The questions is...how do I make it switch modes? How do I tell for which
mode the termcap entries have been written? One of the FAQs suggestions is
to accept both styles...are both styles available from the termcap entry?
up seems to have the correct value but from my reading of the man page up
is what you have to send to move the cursor up one line (ie FreeBSD sends
it to the terminal...not the other way around)...

Thanks,

Andrew