Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 2016 21:38:12 +0100
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   making editors/openoffice-devel within poudriere: out of swap with 10 GByte

Hello,

I have a poudriere oven, amd64 based on r292778 and poudriere 3.1.99.20151204
which served fine to build some 1700 ports. Yesterday I started to make
in addition editors/openoffice-devel, and it ended up eating all
attached swap space and at the end today with out of swap after some ~15 hours...

The swap is 4 GByte /dev/ada0p3 and in addition 6 plain files of 1 GByte added
as swap devices.

What I do not understand, while watching the situation with top, there
have only be running as maximum 2 processes clang++, and always starting new
processes for new foo.cxx files, and theses have had a memory of some
let's says 200 Mbytes each, as max. How can this lead to eat up 10 GByte swap
space?

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045
UNIX since V7 on PDP-11 | UNIX on mainframe since ESER 1055 (IBM /370)