Date:      Tue, 08 Sep 2015 17:02:39 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Storage question

"William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net> writes:

> On 09/08/15 15:26, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>> "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net> writes:
>>
>>> I'm pretty sure the last few can't be deleted, but what about the
>>> stuff in '/var/backups' & '/rescue' ? I am trying to figure out a
>>> reasonable minimum I can size the root directory & still have safe,
>>> reliable operations. Any clues appreciated. TIA & have a good one.
>> You're worrying about a few tens of megabytes? You must have *really*
>> small disks on these systems. [/rescue takes less than 10MB, and can
>> save you a lot of time in a rescue situation.]
>>

> Not really, & you may be right, much ado about nothing, but I like
> things as efficient as possible.

Just make sure you leave room for emergencies.

>                                  I may be reading wrong, but I think I
> see ~5.3 MiB *per file*, or a few hundred MiB total in /rescue.

The directory entries are all the same inode. "du /rescue" will show you
around 5.5 megabytes total.

    > see ~5.3 MiB *per file*, or a few hundred MiB total in /rescue. There
    > are also those pkg.sql backups, @ about 10 MiB apiece. The reason I
    > ask is I have about 12 GiB used total in my root dir & I'm trying to
    > figure out where it is all going. It may be nothing, I wanted to see
    > if I could get down to an 8 GiB root partition, but that may be
    > unrealistic.

Um, what else is in your root directory? Do you have all of /usr in
there or something? Even /var isn't likely to take up gigabytes (and if
it is, I'd want it on a separate partition).

For example: on my server, I have:
    Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
    /dev/ad6s1a    1.9G    938M    883M    52%    /
    devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
    /dev/ad6s1f    291G    133G    134G    50%    /home
    /dev/ad6s1d    4.8G    1.4G    3.0G    32%    /usr
    /dev/ad6s1g    147G     16G    119G    12%    /usr/scratch
    /dev/ad6s1e    4.8G    670M    3.8G    15%    /var
    /dev/md0        62M     32K     57M     0%    /tmp