Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 21:56:12 +0000
From:      robert w hall <bobh@n-cantrell.demon.co.uk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: freebsd 2.2.5 kernel on cyrix 686 M2-MMX cpu

Doug
Thanks for reply - obscurity of my message is in part due to there being
one previous (to Walnut Creek & questions@freebsd) which obviously
hasn't got to you yet.

I'm trying to get the new 2.2.5 kernel up on my Cyrix 686 M2-MMX box (VX
Pro motherboard, 40MB DRAM (8Mb fast page, 32Mb EDO), Miro 12PD SVGA
card, NE2000 clone card, titchy 130MB IDE drive) . This is networked to
an AMD 486 server, which has the big disk, CDROM and floppy. Both
systems run Linux Slackware (2.0.30 kernel) under NFS. The 486 has Win
95, and a small FreeBSD 2.2.5 system, downloaded from the net. The Cyrix
has Win.3.11/Dos 6.2 and just a little spare space (40MB?).

I now have the walnutcreek 4-disk set for 2.2.5 and so moved the
components of the install directory, namely install.bat, fbsdboot.exe
and kernel (2.88meg!) on to the cyrix hard-disk. after some fiddling
with the DOS memory manager (esp enabling EMS), the nearest I've got to
the kernel coming up is:-

d:>install

d:>fbsdboot.exe -D kernel
Booting @ 0x100000
VCPI services Version 1,0 detected!
text=0x10a000 data=0x17a000 bss=0x13fe4 symbls=[+0x1c+0x4+0x122f4+0x4+0x
17463]
total=0x3c175f entry point=0x100000

Fatal trap 9:general protection fault while in kernel mode
instruction pointer =0x8:0xf01aad71
stack pointer = 0x10:0xefbfff98
frame pointer = 0x10:0xefbfffb0
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
      =DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags   = resume, IOPL = 0
current process = 0()
interrupt mask = net tty bio
panic:general protection fault
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds..

If I try the using kernel ('k2') on the hard disk (1.44M) instead of
'install' kernel above ie
d:\> fbsdboot -D k2

I get a similar message,

first lines as above then
text=0x126000 data=0x12000 bss=0x16ae4 symbols=[+0x51c+0x4+0x12bd0+0x4+0
x18051]
total = 0x279c29 entry point=0x100000

Fatal trap 9 general...
instruction pointer   = 0x8:0xf01c7c81

then as above.

If I bring across the hard disk from the 486, and install the boot
manager (using bootinst.exe) to run the resident system I still end up
with no joy (despite the fact that this system comes up ok on the 486),
and the same (in all detail I think) error message.

I have NOT tried bringing across the floppy drive and using a boot
floppy (or rather I have but the drive wouldn't come up properly - cable
problem?) - to do the job properly I'll have to start pulling nasty
(=long, lots of mating force needed) VLB cards out of my 486
motherboard! and I'd rather not bother until I've got some reassurance
that
a) the system comes up cleanly on this cpu/motherboard (686/VX Pro)
combination and that
b) there isn't a work-around.

Have a good vacation!

Bob Hall (G3XIY), 22 cumbria close, thornbury, south glos., UK

In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.980322234124.12642X-100000@gdi.uoregon.edu>,
Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu> writes

--
robert w hall