Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 2003 08:39:24 +1000
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Subject:   Re: recent stability problems with fxp driver

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 03:22:49PM -0700, John Polstra wrote:
> On the board that fails, have you tried disabling ACPI in
> /boot/loader.conf or at the loader prompt?  It would be interesting to
> see whether that made a difference.

I'm not using the loader. I netboot the kernel with hints compiled in.
The board has no VGA device, so I use a serial console, but the bios
doesn't support a serial console. All I can do is wait for the bios
to get etherboot loaded and then I get my serial output.

As far as ACPI is concerned, I haven't got that built into the kernel and
there are no modules for the kernel to load and no loader to load them.

This is a very simple kernel:

machine     i386
cpu         I486_CPU
cpu         I586_CPU
cpu         I686_CPU
ident       GENERIC
makeoptions KERNEL_KO=nfsvidservrkern
hints       "../../../NFSVIDEO.hints"
options     CPU_ELAN
options     CONSPEED=38400              # Speed for serial console
options     SCHED_4BSD                  # 4BSD scheduler
options     INET                        # InterNETworking
options     FFS                         # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options     COMPAT_43                   # Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options     COMPAT_FREEBSD4             # Compatible with FreeBSD4
options     _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions
options     NFSCLIENT                   # Network Filesystem Client
options     NFS_ROOT                    # NFS usable as root device, NFS required
options     BOOTP                       # Use BOOTP to obtain IP address/hostname
options     BOOTP_NFSROOT               # NFS mount root filesystem using BOOTP info
options     BOOTP_COMPAT                # Workaround for broken bootp daemons.
options     DDB
options     INVARIANTS                  # Enable calls of extra sanity checking
options     INVARIANT_SUPPORT           # Extra sanity checks of internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
options     WITNESS                     # Enable checks to detect deadlocks and cycles
options     WITNESS_SKIPSPIN            # Don't run witness on spinlocks for speed
options     WITNESS_DDB
options     BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER
device      isa
device      pci
device      ata
device      atadisk                     # ATA disk drives
options     ATA_STATIC_ID               # Static device numbering
device      npx
device      sio
device      miibus                      # MII bus support
device      fxp                         # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
device      smpg
device      loop                        # Network loopback
device      ether                       # Ethernet support
device      md                          # Memory disk

--
John Birrell