Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:08:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD [3.1] is Unix ??? (Was: Re: 3.1 Release splash image)

> Igor Roshchin writes:
> >
> > On that screen image I see the word "Unix".
> > I wonder - how about the statement that FreeBSD is not a Unix,
> > but a Unix-like system ?
> > (see http://www.UNIX-systems.org/ by the Opengroup)
>
> It all has to do with who owns the trademark to the name, "Unix".
> FreeBSD, Inc., does not own that trademark and does not pay tribute for
> the use of the name. Therefore FreeBSD is only "Unix-like".
>
> In reality FreeBSD is a true blue-blood Un*x system, traceable to the
> origins of Unix.
>

> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@nospam.hiwaay.net

It's rather the question of definitions.
(And you are right - the definitions are given by the owners of the trademark)

I know what FreeBSD is, and I refer to it as "Unix" between my
friends/colleagues and myself. However, if technically speaking it
is not Unix (TM) according to the current definition, -
it should not be called that way either on the official web-page, or
on the logo-s.

Igor